There is no place like home…
At Central Montana Medical Center, we are committed to helping you or a loved one recover here “at home” after surgery or hospitalization. Our swing bed program can provide a transition period between hospitalization and your return home. If you or a loved one are recovering from surgery, stroke, head injury, need IV antibiotics, or specialized wound care, our healthcare team here at CMMC is ready to help you recover while close to family and friends.
Often Asked Questions
What is Swing Bed?
Swing Bed is a program established by Medicare specifically for smaller hospitals and communities. It is the term used to describe a hospital room that can be used as an acute care bed and/or a skilled care bed. The actual bed/room does not change; what changes is the level of care the patient receives.
Not everyone is able or strong enough to return to everyday living after a hospital stay. Some need extra time to recuperate and recover. Swing Bed can help make a smooth transition between hospital and home.
Even if you were hospitalized elsewhere, you can transfer to the Swing Bed program at CMMC bringing you closer to home and family.
Who qualifies for Swing Bed?
Patients who would benefit from CMMC’s Swing Bed Program are those who have already been in the hospital for at least 3 days, but require additional nursing care and/or rehab services on a daily basis.
Some qualifications include:
- Ongoing skilled nursing
- Ongoing rehab services such as physical therapy, occupational therapy or speech therapy.
- Long term inpatient IV antibiotic therapy
- Specialized wound care
- Accepted by CMMC and a local physician to the Swing Bed Program
Who pays for Swing Bed?
Medicare will generally pay for Swing Bed if the patient meets the following criteria:
- Your Swing Bed care must be related to an acute hospital stay
- You have a 3-night inpatient qualifying stay in the past 30 days
What can I expect while I’m a Swing Bed?
- An individualized plan that is developed with you, your family and a multi-disciplinary team to establish and work toward discharge goals
- Dress in your own clothes daily
- Meet with therapist’s daily
- Participate in activities as desired
Why choose CMMC for my Swing Bed stay?
- Designated RN and CNA with low patient-to-nurse ratio
- On-site hospital resources including radiology, lab and ER if needed.
- Physician on site 24 hours/day if needed.
- Ongoing discharge planning
- Individualized caregiver training and education when preparing for discharge
- Most importantly, we’re close to your home, family and friends
For more information
We would be happy to assist you in your recovery. For more information or referral, please call Central Montana Medical Center:
- Susie Wilber RN; Swing Bed Coordinator: 406-535-6255 or 406-535-2070
- Joanie Slaybaugh; Social Worker: 406-535-6382 or 406-380-2108
- Karen Weinheimer RN; Swing Bed RN: 406-535-6255
- On weekends, call the main hospital number 406-535-7711 and ask to leave a message for the SWB coordinator.
We are available Monday-Friday 7 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.